Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Berlin 2.0

So, what keeps you up at night? These days, for me, it’s anything and everything. Currently, it’s 2:37am and I’m sitting in the common room of the hostel I’ve been staying in. There is a massive snore fest going on in the room I’m supposed to be cozied up in.  But no matter, a couple days ago, it was just a low rumble and I was awake from 12:30am-4.  When there was no noise, didn’t go to sleep until 4am… So, what’s keeping me awake? I don’t know.
Originally, I came to Berlin, early, to get acclimated to the time zone.  I hear, on the Polish Tour, sleep, taking care of your body and eating are important parts of the journey. So, I’ve stocked up on about $100 of Whole Foods quality protein bars, among other snacks.  I bought a wonderful, I mean wonderful, memory foam travel pillow and I came to Berlin early so I could be acclimated.  And, I haven’t slept.   Yeah, I do get some sleeping in between 4, 5, 6am to noon.  But, that’s not acclimated.  I’m supposed to be able to get up and be ready for the morning temple program by 7am.  That means up and at it probably by 6, depending on what the shower situation is which I figure I’ll figure out when I get to Poland.  So, here I am, leaving for Poland tomorrow and up typing this out to you, now.
I guess, on one hand, it’s good I’m doing it now before I move on from Berlin; however, on the other hand… remember that bed I’m supposed to be cozied in? Yeah, I’m not there.
So, I wanted to give you some tips for success on visiting Berlin… let’s just rattle through them, shall we?
First, the language.  I don’t speak a bit of German and even though I studied Spanish for quite a few years, it really doesn’t translate (even though I remember hearing Spanish/French/Italian/German are interchangeable... they NEVER have been for me).  Frankly, I can figure things out better reading them into English in my brain than Spanish.  Generally, when I go places, and need help, I first ask the person if they speak English. This is really important if you want to order a decaf coffee at the millions of café’s around here.  What? Not everyone has decaf (nto even Dunkin Donuts!!!).  Almost always, I’ve gotten a yes. Phew.  Sometimes I get a funny look or a no, but I have never gotten anyone who is upset with me because I didn’t ask in German or that I didn’t start a full blown conversation with them, in German.  The people have been exceedingly nice, especially about this. I’ve heard this isn’t necessarily the case in all European countries (ah hem… France), but I’ll let you know about those ones when I get there… someday.
Back to the people being nice. I mean, they’ve been really nice.  It’s been lovely.  I have enjoyed the people quite a bit. 
Even though Berlin has a dark past, they’ve done a fantastic job rebuilding it. It’s a beautiful, amazingly beautiful city.  I recommend taking long walks and getting comfortable with the public transportation, which, like most European countries, is incredibly readily available.  I’ve tried not to take the same route to or from my hostel every day. Even if it’s a few streets, I get a new glimpse of the area and have managed to get a look at some new Church or Museum or river walk or something.  It really is incredible here.  The city is set up for tourists quite amazingly.  Those river walks? Most of them have outdoor café’s that have random comfortable seating, from hanging basket chairs to no joke, beach loungers.  It’s funny, having frequented many beach vacation areas, to see that when the view is of, let’s say, a tram line.   Along with the beauty, I’ve been impressed with how clean the city is.  Almost every day, I saw a street cleaner going by me at some point.  There are trash cans on the street and recycling is a big thing here. Don’t be surprised if you see multiple people (while you’re sitting at a café watching the tram line) look into those trash cans to try to get the glass bottles out of there so they can recycle them.  It’s amazing.
Speaking of recycling.  This place puts the US to shame on taking care of the environment and the personal impact each one of us has.  It’s kind of embarrassing.  The grocery stores don’t have plastic bags you can just get.  Either you bring your own carrying container or you buy one or however many you need. And considering they cost more than one bottles worth of recycling, you’re probably going to bring your own.  There is virtually no plastic bottling, especially when you compare it to the US.  Milk comes in a carton of sorts.  My yogurt came in a glass jar.  It’s always driven me crazy, if China can go plastic bag less, why can’t the US (and don’t give me the Communist country, the people don’t have a choice line, that doesn’t work for me here)?
Back to how clean it is. Let’s talk a little bit about public bathrooms.  Since I’ve spent a good 8 hours a day out and about, I generally have to find a bathroom here or there. Luckily, I generally have a café or two to stop at; however, there are the times (quite a bit) where I’m at the train station.  Don’t be surprised when it costs you 1 Euro to use the toilet (I was).  Mind you, today, 1 Euro is $1.60.  But, let me tell you about how clean these bathrooms are.  There is someone there, employed, making sure you don’t have to roll your pants up before you drop trow, to… well, you know. And, there are always paper towels, and soap… and… well, let’s just say. I’d almost RATHER spend that euro to use the public loo!
I did mention the public transportation system, right?  Well, I’ve used all except for the Underground (and I tried to tonight but wasn’t familiar enough with it to start getting lost in it).  It’s VERY easy. Those of you from New York or Boston are going, duh.  But, you’ve probably got the most readily available public transportation in the country.  It’s nice here. Plus, I haven’t seen any 4Runners (I know, I own one - well, kinda'), big trucks or gas guzzlers.  I’m sure they’re out in the country, where they’re NEEDED, but I haven’t seen them in the city.  Smart cars and mini’s and tiny cars are the norm and many, many (not like Amsterdam many) many bikes and scooters are around.   And, bike rental is all over and, again, readily available.
So, this one surprised me. People can walk around drinking.  I’ve only seen beer. But, those large beer bottles the recycling people are searching for, are being drunk on the street as people walk home from work or during lunch.  Some of you are stoked and want to visit even more now.  It’s just something to note. Interesting and something I haven’t seen in any other city. 
Here are a few things to remember about shopping. Which, in Berlin, there is TONS of.  Because there are two fairly distinct city centers (remember that whole Berlin Wall thing?) there is massive shopping.  Berlin West, before the fall, was known as liberated and all of the shopping and café’s and such were considered a status symbol and what freedom and peace meant.  So, there is bunches of shopping in Berlin West (we’re talking Rodeo Drive, baby).  Once the East opened up and started to metropolize (new word), they opened up all of their own shopping.  I walked through both districts and it’s impressive.  Not to mention ALL of the shopping everywhere else.  It’s overwhelming.  And, closed on Sunday’s.  No kidding. All of it.  There may be something somewhere that’s open, but it wasn’t anywhere I walked for 8 hours on Sunday. And, my friend Meredith was in Frankfurt and said the same thing.  It doesn’t matter if you’re Prada or a grocery store. You’re closed.  How nice would that be?  To have a built in day off, no matter what? And, that day off would be the same day that all your friends and family have off too… Imagine that, built in community time…
 What’s also interesting is that not everywhere takes plastic.  I walked into a large convenience store (think Walgreen’s or CVS or something), loaded up on a few things and didn’t have enough cash on me to buy it.  This is not uncommon, especially in the grocery/food area.  So, make sure to have a supply of Euro’s at hand…  And, Berliners have great taste… I saw many Dunkin’ Donuts… Give it up for the DD… (Yeah, there were a bunch of Starbuck’s too, but I’m always partial to DD bringing it to the big guy).
Now, for lodging.  I stayed in a hostel.  I haven’t stayed in a hostel since 2007 when I went to Greece. Then, I had a private room, so my experience was very different; however, remember this.  Hostels aren’t just for college kids anymore.  I was feeling a little awkward reserving my room since I’m well above college age…  I need not to have worried.  Hostel traveling is for the budget traveler.  Which means you get every walk of life.  Now, I’d say it was probably 90% college type kid here; however, there definitely were some not so college age types here.  So, ladies, if your hostel has the option… get the ladies only room.  I’m in a room with 4 guys and me right now because I waited too long and the ladies room wasn’t available.  With the snore fest and guys being guys and all that fun stuff, I just don’t love the situation.  And I’m one of the more independent travelers I know.  There are plenty of hotels out there; however, again, need I remind you 1 euro = $1.60 right now? Really, what’s the point?  I highly, highly recommend www.hostels.com as a resource for hostel staying.  Read the reviews and go by the percentages.  Travelers won’t lie. 
To keep you busy.  There is so much in Berlin.  Tons of museums.  Tons of WWII remnants and landmarks.  I chose not to go down the museum route this trip because I wanted to be outside; however, there really were a million.  Even though I didn’t go to them, I was busy every day and saw something different every day.  If you choose to see the museums they have some great bundle options for admissions because it really will take you many days if you want to see them all.
Clothing… Let’s see, it’s rained all but one day that I’ve been here.  Generally it’s been off and on showers with intermittent sun with a couple days of just rain; so, have an umbrella or rain jacket. Today, I got seriously rained on.  Extra good dumping. Everything, everything wet.  So, be prepared for that.  The weather feels humid to me, but my skin was dry and my clothes I washed dried incredibly fast.  So, lotion is good but other than that basic late spring clothes work.  I had a very light sweater wrap that was very handy when the sun hid behind clouds, other than that tank tops/t’s, shorts/jeans are totally do able and I actually really enjoyed the weather.  Nice and temperate.  Apparently, I need to move to a place that is 75 year round… I’m loving this temperature, not too hot not too cold.  
So, I think that’s it for traveling in Berlin at this point.  Logistics and practicalities.  Just wanted to share if you’re ever interested in traveling here.
It’s now 3:22am and I’m going to start writing about something else so you have some more “Juice From the Road” to read about next time.  Part of what has been keeping me up is everything that is running through my head.  So, now that I feel like I’ve unblocked some of the blog block and now I have a bunch of things I want to share with you.  Although, from what I hear about the schedule I’m about to take on, there won’t be a whole lot of time, so wish me luck!
Here’s what I’ll tease you with for next time…

I feel like this whole ‘trip’ has been such a trip because I was ripe for the picking.  I actually, fell off the tree…

No comments:

Post a Comment